Read the journey of Mithali Raj from being a dancer to a cricket champ.
|Real Name:||Mithali Dorai Raj|
|Birth date:||3 Dec 1982|
|Birth place:||Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India|
|Profession:||Indian Women cricketer (Batsman)|
|Batting style:||Right-hand bat|
|International debut:||Test- 14 Jan 2012 vs England Women at Lucknow
ODI- 26 Jun 1999 vs Ireland Women at Milton Keynes
T20- 5 Aug 2006 vs England Women at Derby
|Favourite Cricketer:||Michael Clarke|
|Favourite Actor:||Akshay Kumar|
|Favourite Commentator:||Nasser Hussain|
‘Mithali Raj‘ The pride of India, is the captain (ODIs and Tests) of Indian women’s cricket International team. She made her One Day International debut in 1999 against Ireland at Milton Keynes and in an under pressure situation she scored 114 runs unbeaten. Mithali Raj played her Test debut match against England Lucknow in the season 2001-02.
On 17 August 2002, at the age of 19, in her only third Test match, Mithali Raj broke the record of highest individual Test score by scoring 214 against England in the second and Final Test at Taunton. She now has grown into one of the legends of the game in women’s cricket and currently No 2 ODI batswoman after Meg Lanning.
Mithali Raj led the Indian Women’s cricket team to their first World Cup Final in 2005 held in South Africa where they met Australia. Unfortunately, India lost the game by a small margin. Since then Indian team got better and better…All credits to Mithali Raj.
Father Dorai Raj in an interview, “Mithali was keen on becoming the dancer. However, destiny seems to have had other plans for her”.
Here are the words of Mithali’s coach RSR Murthy, “It’s a great achievement. I am feeling very happy. She achieved this milestone because of her hard work and dedication. I wish many more achievements in her career. She has become a role model, not only in the country but in the world”.
Adding to this Mr Murthy says, “She made several sacrifices, cutting down on attending social events, for the sake of her career.”
Cricket may have happened by chance after being in love with dance, but she is going to rule the cricket world for a long time.
Want to know the best part???
Here are the milestones achieved by Mithali Raj and some other facts and figures too. Keep reading…
- Made her ODI debut at the age of 16 years, 205 days vs Ireland in 1999.
- Scored 114* on ODI debut — the highest score by an Indian on debut and second highest by any player in this format at that time.
- Played the highest number (109) of consecutive matches during 2004 to 2013, most by any player in women’s ODIs.
- She holds the record of most consecutive number of half-centuries – 7 half-centuries.
- Mithali batted at every position from number 1 to 9 in ODIs.
- She Led India for the first time in 2004 vs West Indies at the age 21 years, 94 days to become the youngest captain ever to lead the side in women’s cricket.
- Won ‘Woman of the match’ award 18 times, she is the second woman to do the same after Stafanie Taylor (20) of West Indies.